Trash and Recycling Information
WASTE MANAGEMENT is currently the main trash/recycling provider in the neighborhood Our current rate is $51 per quarter ($42.00 trash/$9 recycle).
To receive updates by email and/or text, please visit their website at www.wm.com and sign up using your account number.
The customer service number is: 1-866-319-5397.
While the HOA does not govern trash/recycle pick up we offer this information as a helpful service.
Detailed update regarding Lost Forrest’s preferred trash & recycling provider:
In 2012, the prior board of directors conducted an effort to get all residents to utilize one trash and recycling provider. Primary goals included reducing the number of garbage trucks in our community and providing a more competitive rate to our residents. This effort was partially successful, in that a very competitive rate was attained from Cycle Works, but the goal of reducing the number of trucks in the community was never achieved, as at least 20 residents refused to switch to the preferred provider.
In 2015, Cycle Works “sold” our territory to Advanced Disposal, and they assumed preferred hauler status within Lost Forrest. Their service level was solid for 12-18 months, but as most of you are aware, they began having staffing issues, which resulted in delays and missed pickups. As evidenced by posts on Nextdoor and on other social media outlets, these issues have not been exclusive to Advanced – during any given month, you can see complaints regarding many other trash companies in our area. It’s a tough industry with a lot of employee turnover.
This spring, our initial two-year price lock with Advanced Disposal expired, resulting in an increase of one dollar per month on our quarterly bills. I received quite a bit of negative feedback regarding the price increase, as well as the service issues, which prompted additional research and discussion at our July board meeting. One of the options was to completely remove the HOA from trash and recycling vendor selection, as the ongoing follow-up on service and billing issues had become quite cumbersome, but after a lengthy conversation, we arrived at the following:
- The board has decided to renew our preferred provider agreement with Advanced Disposal, locking in a rate of $39 per quarter for the next two years. The primary drivers of this decision were price, the fact that 141 households still use Advanced, and the continued pickup of clubhouse/pool trash free of charge. Advanced is also working hard to stabilize their driver workforce and reduce service issues, having recently hired a new regional manager and area supervisor.
- In addition to weekly pickup of trash, recycling, and up to 8 bags of yard debris, Advanced will also pick up one bulk item per month free of charge. To schedule a bulk item pickup, please call 678-495-0058 at least 24 hours in advance and be sure to mention our HOA agreement.
- Advanced will also pick up live Christmas trees free of charge during the two weekly pickups following Christmas Day
- If you do have a missed pickup, billing problem, or other service issue, please contact Advanced Disposal directly. We are serviced by their “Atlanta North” facility – 678-495-0058. Their website is http://www.advanceddisposal.com/ga/ball-ground/atlanta-north-collection. If you are not able to get resolution by calling customer service at 678-495-0058, you may contact our designated HOA representative, Marcie Kreager, at 678-414-4769 or Marcie.Kreager@advanceddisposal.com. If you are unable to reach Marcie, our area supervisor is Anthony Towe (Anthony.Towe@advanceddisposal.com) and the regional manager is Jimmy Lovell (Jimmy.Lovell@advanceddisposal.com.)
- The board’s role in this effort was geared toward locking in the best possible price for the most number of included services. With 177 homes, we recognize that not everyone will be motivated primarily by price. If you are not satisfied with the level of service you receive from Advanced, you are free to switch to another provider. One of our board members received a quote from BOSS at $60 per quarter and a quote from American Disposal at $75 per quarter, with neither including bulk item pickup.
- If you do not currently use Advanced Disposal and would like to switch to them, please call 678-495-0058 to set up service, and be sure to reference our HOA agreement.
- I have been in touch with Rhonda Hedrick, who handles billing, and she is in the process of updating all active accounts to the correct pricing, effective at the beginning of the next billing cycle. If the 56.05 rate is not automatically applied to your next quarterly bill, please call Advanced directly at
NOTE! In 2020 Advanced Disposal was sold to Waste Management. As of April 2021 they are still operating as Advanced Disposal.
I’m hopeful that these details are helpful to you as you evaluate your trash and recycling service. To reiterate, Advanced is our preferred provider, and we would still love to have the fewest number of trucks possible in our community, but using Advanced is in no way mandated by the HOA.
The Board of Lost Forrest Homeowners Association.